Fitness is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. Add a little physical activity to every day and you’ll soon find yourself feeling more energetic and alert. As your fitness levels improve, so will your quality of life. More importantly, research shows that you’ll live longer and reduce your risk of developing a chronic disease.
Regular physical activity can bring you many health benefits. The best kind of activity is the one that you will do. Learn more about being active and the different opportunities available at work.
Looking to join a gym?
Did you know that there are a number of discounts for local gyms available to HHS staff and family members through the Employee Discount and Incentive Program? Here is the current list of gyms offering discounted rates:
- 5 Star Fitness
- Century Fitness
- De La Sol Yoga Hamilton
- GoodLife Fitness
- John Savidis' Lean & Fit
- Just Train
- McMaster University David Braley Athletic Centre and The Pulse
- Moksha Yoga Hamilton
- Movati Athletic
- National Fitness
- Snap Fitness
- The Fitness Firm
DOWNLOAD the HHS Health & Fitness Directory - CLICK HERE
Links and Resources:
- Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines: View the new 2011 Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines for Children (5 to 11 years), Youth (12 to 17 years), Adults (18 to 64 years), and Older Adults (65 years and older) and the 2012 Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines for Early Years (0-4). Also see the new Canadian Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines.
- 10 Workout Myths: Test your knowledge by getting the truth about 10 common myths about working out.
- Basic Principles of Physical Activity (Heart & Stroke):
- Greatist: Greatist.com is the trusted health & fitness source for the young, savvy, and social. Health and fitness is hard. We want to make it easier. And for starters, we think you deserve better content than what's out there now. Every fact is cited by a PubMed study, every story meticulously verified, and expert approved.
- Participaction: Bringing Canadians together and uniting them under the banner of creating a nation where physical activity is a vital part of everyday life – that is the future ParticipACTION envisions. And every step of the way, ParticipACTION will be there for you – we are your partner, your inspiration, your coach who never lets you doubt that you can do it.